It's summertime, and it's scorching! We know you're always looking for ways to keep cool in this hot, hot heat, so we've gathered our top wine hacks for your breeziest summer yet. Read on, and be refreshed!
1. Red Wine Float
The grown-up version of a root beer float!
- vanilla ice cream
- red wine (our recommendations: 2014 G is for: Grenache or 2014 Wonderful Wine Co. Red Blend)
- sparkling water
- Maraschino cherries
- Scoop the ice cream into a cup.
- Pour the wine and sparkling water over the ice cream.
- Top with a couple of cherries!
2. Floral Ice Cubes
They may be little, but they sure do make a beautiful statement. The perfect hostess trick to wow party guests!
- purified water (eliminates bubbles in ice cubes)
- large ice trays
- edible flowers
- Fill an ice tray halfway up with purified water.
- Place flowers in the cube molds.
- Freeze until fully set.
- Fill the rest of the tray with water, and freeze again.
Photo/Recipe: Annie Eats
3. Sangria Popsicles
Because what's better than a refreshing popsicle in the scorching heat? Oh, yeah – one made with wine!
- 3 peaches
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp peach schnapps
- popsicle molds (Crate & Barrel or Amazon)
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp white wine (our recommendations: 2014 Rambutan Muscat Canelli or 2014 Loves Me Not Malvasia Bianca)
- Pit and thinly slice one peach. Add to a bowl with the raspberries, sugar, and one tablespoon of white wine. Stir together gently (avoid smashing the berries or bruising the fruit). Let stand for about 20 minutes.
- Peel, pit, and coarsely chop the remaining two peaches. Combine in a blender or food processor with the remaining cup of white wine and the peach schnapps. Puree until smooth.
- Pour the puree mixture into popsicle molds, filling each about two-thirds full. Add a few peach slices and raspberries to each mold. Freeze until fully set (at least a few hours). Unmold, and enjoy!
4. Wine Slushie
To satisfy the kid in all of us!
- white wine (our recommendations: 2014 Rambutan Muscat Canelli or 2014 Loves Me Not Malvasia Bianca)
- frozen raspberries and strawberries (or fruit of choice)
- fresh fruit for decoration
- Blend two cups of white wine and frozen fruit until you have a puree.
- Pour the puree into a shallow dish, and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Fluff the slushie, and scoop into a cup to enjoy!
5. Frozen Wine Grapes
Perfect on their own as a yummy snack to keep cool or in your favorite beverage as an extra treat.
- white wine (our recommendation: 2013 Pacificana Sauvignon Blanc)
- Fill a pitcher or bowl with the white wine, and soak grapes to marinate.
- Lightly pat the grapes dry, and roll around in white sugar.
- Freeze grapes, and enjoy!