Recipe for: Zeb Stevenson's Chicken & Dumplings
|1 cube||Edward & Sons Low Sodium Veggie bouillon|
|½ Tsp.||PeachDish Salt, plus more to taste|
|8 oz.||boneless, skinless chicken breast|
|1 cup||White Lily Self-Rising Flour|
1. Prepare your mise en place: Peel and dice onion. Dice carrot. Dice celery. Pick and chop dill and parsley leaves.
2. In a saucepot (this recipe works best in a deep pot that is 10 to 12 inches wide at the base) over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes, or until onions turn transparent and carrot and celery are very tender.
3. Stir in thyme sprigs, bay leaf, bouillon cube and 1/2 teaspoon PeachDish Salt. Add 3 cups water.
4. Increase heat to high, and bring liquid to a boil. Add chicken breasts. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 56 minutes. Turn chicken over, and cook until chicken is just cooked through (when pierced with a sharp knife, the flesh should appear opaque), 56 minutes more.
5. While chicken is simmering, make dumpling batter: In a mixing bowl, gently but thoroughly combine self-rising flour and buttermilk.
6. Remove cooked chicken from the pot, and set aside to cool slightly.
* For weeknight convenience, PeachDish substitutes bouillon for a slowsimmered stock.