Recipe for: Seared Scallops with Grapefruit and Brown Butter
|1 lb.||wild sea scallops|
|cracked black pepper|
|1 Tbsp||grapeseed or olive oil|
|3 Tbsp||unsalted butter|
|¼ cup||almonds, toasted and roughly chopped|
|minced chives, for garnish|
|torn mint leaves, for garnish|
1. Segment grapefruit into supremes (use paring knife to slice segments away from pith) over bowl to catch juices. Squeeze fruit into bowl to extract remaining juice. Set aside segments and juice.
2. Clean scallops by removing side muscle from each one. Pat very dry.
3. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Season scallops generously with salt and pepper. Add oil to pan, and sear scallops until golden-brown. Flip, and add butter to pan. Tilt pan, and spoon butter over scallops as they cook. When scallops look like they just have a raw line in center, remove quickly. (They’ll continue to cook through once removed.)
4. Allow butter to continue cooking until browned and nutty. Add grapefruit juice.
5. Pour sauce over scallops. Garnish with almonds, chives, and mint leaves.