Recipe for: Salmon wth Balsamic Red Wine Sauce
|2 Tbs||extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 small||shallot, minced|
|½ tsp||cracked black pepper|
|2 cups||dry red wine|
|¼ cup||balsamic vinegar|
|2 Tbs||heavy cream|
|4 Tbs||cold unsalted butter, cut into fourths|
|salt & freshly ground pepper|
|4 (6 oz)||salmon filets|
1. In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium. Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the thyme sprig, black pepper, red wine, and balsamic vinegar and boil over high heat until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 12 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cream, then whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Strain into a bowl and keep warm.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet, skin side up. Cook until the fillets are browned, about 4 minutes.
4. Flip the salmon over and cook until the fish is just opaque throughout, about 3 minutes longer.
5. Transfer the salmon to plates and spoon the sauce over the fish. Garnish with freshly ground pepper and serve immediately with a simple salad or brussels sprouts.