Recipe for: Roasted Cauliflower and Sausage Pasta
|1 medium||head cauliflower|
|4 Tbsp||olive oil|
|1 medium||lemon, juiced|
|1 ½ tsp||salt|
|1 tsp||black pepper|
|½ tsp||crushed chili flakes|
|1 lb.||spicy Italian sausage|
|1 medium||red onion, diced|
|2||garlic cloves, minced|
|1 cup||panko breadcrumbs|
|½ cup||plain breadcrumbs|
|½ cup||fresh parsley, chopped|
|1 lb.||short-cut pasta (such as cavatappi)|
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut cauliflower into small florets; place on baking sheet. Toss with two tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, one teaspoon salt, half-teaspoon black pepper, and chili flakes until evenly combined. Shake pan to distribute into single layer. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned and crispy; turn halfway. Remove from oven; set aside.
3. Place large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat with one tablespoon olive oil. Add sausage (removed from casing); break down with wooden spoon. Cook until browned and crispy. Add onion and garlic; stir, cooking until softened and just beginning to brown.
4. In small skillet over low heat, combine panko breadcrumbs, plain breadcrumbs, remaining tablespoon olive oil, and parsley. Stir often, until breadcrumbs have toasted and are light golden color. Remove from heat; set aside.
5. Bring large pot of cold water to boil; season liberally with salt. Add pasta; cook according to package directions. Right before draining, reserve one cup cooking liquid. Drain pasta; immediately throw it in with sausage and onion. Add reserved cooking liquid, roasted cauliflower, and breadcrumbs (reserving a few tablespoons of the latter for garnish). Stir until evenly combined; cook for a minute or two.
6. Serve with sprinkling of reserved toasted breadcrumbs.
About The Chef
Jonathan Melendez is a passionate food photographer, cook, baker, and recipe developer whose blog, The Candid Appetite, has appeared on such sites as Bon Appetit, People, Cosmopolitan, The Kitchn, and Today. He lives in Los Angeles, CA.