Recipe for: Italian Sausage Dogs with Sherried Onions and Roasted Tomato Cream
|1||large vine-ripened tomato, quartered|
|1 Tbs||olive oil|
|kosher salt and course black pepper|
|1 1/2 Tbs||butter|
|1||large sweet onion, thinly sliced|
|2 Tbs||dry sherry|
|1/4 cup||Greek yogurt, plain|
|2 tsp||lemon juice, fresh|
|1 tsp||red wine vinegar|
|1 tsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|4||buns, split open and toasted|
|small jar||bread and butter pickles|
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Toss the tomatoes with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and arrange on a baking sheet. Roast until wilted and lightly caramelized (15 to 18 minutes). Cool to room temperature.
3. While the tomatoes are baking, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions, and cook (stirring occasionally) for 15 minutes. Add the sherry, and cook until the liquid evaporates. Turn the heat to low, and continue cooking the onions until they’re golden brown and caramelized (about 15 to 20 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a small food processor or blender, add the roasted tomatoes and all their juice, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Pulse until smooth, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Grill or pan sear the sausages until lightly charred on the outside and fully cooked. Spread each toasted bun with the roasted tomato cream, and then top with a sausage link, caramelized sherried onions, and pickles.
About The Chef
Fanny Slater is a home-taught food enthusiast with a passion for storytelling and licking the plate. She recently won The Rachael Ray Great American Cookbook Competition, has become a regular guest on The Rachael Ray Show, and has been featured in Every Day with Rachael Ray Magazine. She shoots playful cooking videos for recipe development partners and tip segments for her local CBS station. Her company Fanfare specializes in recipe development, food writing, and sassy social media eats. Fanny cooks “comfort foods in a tuxedo” — eclectic twists on familiar favorites. Get your Fanny in the kitchen at @fannyslater. (Photo courtesy of The Rachael Ray Show)