Recipe for: Coconut Milk Shrimp Risotto with Kale Pesto
|For the risotto:|
|16 oz.||Arborio brown rice|
|7 cups||unsalted seafood broth or stock|
|2 Tbsp||coconut oil|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|¼ cup||green onions, finely sliced|
|1 ½ lbs||medium shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|¾ cup||dry white wine|
|¼ cup||onions, finely chopped|
|For the kale pesto:|
|½ bunch||kale, ribs removed|
|¼ cup||olive oil|
|salt and pepper|
1. To make the pesto: combine everything in food processor. Pulse until finely chopped and combined.
2. To make the risotto: pour broth or stock into pan, and bring just to simmer.
3. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add half the coconut oil; heat until shimmering. Add garlic and green onions, then shrimp. Sauté until shrimp begin to turn pink. Add half-cup wine. Simmer until shrimp are just cooked through. Drain shrimp, reserving cooking liquid. Set shrimp aside.
4. Add remaining coconut oil and the quarter-cup onions. Cook, stirring frequently, for about five minutes. Add rice. Cook, stirring constantly for about a minute. Add remaining wine. Stir while wine absorbs into rice. Pour one cup hot broth or stock into pan. Cook, stirring constantly until liquid is completely absorbed. Heat should be medium to medium-low (not so hot that it burns on the bottom).
5. Add another cup hot broth or stock. Keep cooking and stirring. Repeat until rice is creamy and cooked through. Pour in coconut milk, stirring so rice absorbs it. Rice should be al dente.
6. Remove from heat. Stir in shrimp. Season with salt and black pepper. Garnish with pesto. Serve hot.
About The Chef
Claire Thomas is the creator behind The Kitchy Kitchen, a drool-inducing food blog and cookbook. Aside from photographing and sharing her delicious kitchen creations, Claire dishes out cooking tips on her YouTube channel. And she doesn't stop there... Claire has hosted two seasons of the ABC series Food for Thought and has directed and styled commercials for some of the nation's top food brands.