Recipe for: Chorizo Pinchos with Summer Vegetables
|1 cup||yellow squash, diced|
|1 cup||zucchini, diced|
|1 cup||red bell pepper, diced|
|1½ cups||white onion, diced|
|2 large||tomatoes, diced|
|3 sprigs||thyme, leaves plucked & finely chopped|
|3 Tbs||olive oil|
|1 Tbs||Rioja, or other dry red wine|
|3 slices||crusty bread, ½ inch thick|
|salt & pepper|
This wine pairing recipe was specifically created for Club W by Chef Marc Osier. Chef Marc started whipping up snacks and small meals for his family at the ripe age of 10-years old and never let it go. Today, he is the head chef at a restaurant in one of Newport Beach’s most renowned 5-star resorts. He received his culinary arts training at Johnson & Wales University and has cooked for restaurants around the country over the past 20 years.
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil to medium high heat. Add the vegetables and let cook, salting them lightly and stirring frequently.
2. Once the vegetables are hot, stir in the thyme and turn the saucepan down to medium low and cover. Every few minutes, uncover the pan and stir. When you lift the lid, let the condensation drip back into the pan. You want to cook the vegetables until they are very soft, but you don’t want to change the color of the vegetables. Sweeting the vegetables like this ensures the flavor will be light.
3. Pour in the red wine, and continue to cook until the vegetables are almost dry. They will cling together. Place to vegetable mixture to the side.
4. Take the slices of bread and sprinkle on olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill them and set to the side.
5. Grill the chorizo on high for 6 minutes, flipping the sausage over every 2 minutes. Then place the sausage on either a top rack of the grill or in a spot with indirect heat. Turn the grill to down to medium and cover the lid to cook for another 5 minutes. You want the sausage to roast slowly.
6. Meanwhile, spoon the vegetable mixture on top of the bread.
7. Slice the chorizo lengthwise once it is cooked and place on top of the vegetables. Top off with grated Manchego cheese.