Recipe for: Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
|For the marinara sauce:|
|1 Tbsp||olive oil|
|1||small yellow onion, diced|
|2||garlic cloves, minced|
|1 tsp||black pepper|
|¼ tsp||crushed red chili flakes|
|1 28-oz. can||crushed tomatoes|
|2 Tbsp||tomato paste|
|¼ cup||fresh basil, cut into ribbons|
|For the sandwiches:|
|4||boneless, skinless chicken thighs|
|1 tsp||black pepper|
|2||large eggs, whisked|
|1 cup||panko breadcrumbs|
|½ cup||plain breadcrumbs|
|¼ cup||Parmesan, grated|
|1 large||French baguette, cut into 4 pieces (or 4 rolls)|
|4 Tbsp||olive oil|
|2||garlic cloves, peeled|
|1 cup||mozzarella, grated|
|¼ cup||fresh basil, cut into strips|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In medium sauce pot, heat tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; cook for three to five minutes, stirring often, until just beginning to caramelize. Season with half-teaspoon salt, half-teaspoon black pepper, and crushed chili flakes. Stir in crushed tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in fresh basil. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In shallow baking dish, whisk eggs. In separate baking dish, combine panko and plain breadcrumbs with Parmesan. Prepare chicken by dipping it into eggs and then breadcrumbs. Transfer to wire rack set over baking sheet; allow to sit for about five minutes.
3. Heat three tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Fry one or two pieces of chicken at a time, cooking for three to four minutes on first side. Flip; continue cooking for about two more minutes.
4. Place chicken on wire rack over baking sheet. Once all chicken is fried, place in oven. Continue cooking for five to eight minutes (until cooked through). Remove from oven; grate Parmesan on top. Set aside.
5. Cut baguette into four pieces, then split each piece in half. Place cut-side up on baking sheet; drizzle with remaining tablespoon olive oil. Bake for five to eight minutes or until golden-brown around edges and crusty. Remove from oven; immediately rub bread with garlic cloves.
6. Spoon marinara on top of each chicken piece. Top with shredded mozzarella; bake until cheese has melted. Spread more marinara onto each bread half; place chicken on top. Sprinkle with fresh basil; sandwich together. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
About The Chef
Jonathan Melendez is a passionate food photographer, cook, baker, and recipe developer whose blog, The Candid Appetite, has appeared on such sites as Bon Appetit, People, Cosmopolitan, The Kitchn, and Today. He lives in Los Angeles, CA.