Recipe for: Cheddar Jalapeño Green Onion Donuts
|1 cup||all-purpose flour|
|1/2 tsp||baking powder|
|1/2 tsp||baking soda|
|1/2 tsp||freshly grated nutmeg|
|1 Tbs||white sugar|
|1/4 cup||thinly sliced green onion|
|2 Tbs||browned butter|
|1/2 cup||shredded cheddar cheese, divided|
1. Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a donut pan and sprinkle with the 1/4 cup of shredded cheese; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and sugar. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl whisk together egg, buttermilk, green onion, and jalapeño. Add the browned butter and whisk into the wet ingredients.
4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring together just until everything is coated.
5. Use two small spoons to dollop batter into the prepared pan (one to scoop and one to push the batter). Smooth out and fill each donut in the pan three-quarters full with batter. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 13 minutes. They won’t look super golden brown in the oven.
6. Remove the donut pan from the oven and immediately flip the donuts out.
Hint: This next bit is totally optional, but to make them extra golden brown, I put the donuts back in oven on a tray, cheesy side up, and broil them for a minute. Keep a close eye on them, since they’ll burn easily, but it bubbles the cheese a bit and adds just a little bit of crunch. Best enjoyed warm!
About The Chef
Claire Thomas is the creator behind The Kitchy Kitchen, a drool-inducing food blog and cookbook. Aside from photographing and sharing her delicious kitchen creations, Claire dishes out cooking tips on her YouTube channel. And she doesn't stop there... Claire has hosted two seasons of the ABC series Food for Thought and has directed and styled commercials for some of the nation's top food brands.